The porch is pretty much done. Except for the railings on the stairs, and the shingles on the roof, the porch is finished.
The mostly completed porchWe started by making the rafter tails that support the roof over the stairs. Then we made a dutchman in each to connect them to the existing rafters.
Next, we put 1x6 up to create the porch roof. We also installed the last two decorative supports (the ones under the rafter tails by the stairs). One of them was missing a piece, so we made a replacement piece and glued and nailed it on.
Then we put building paper on the roof to make it weatherproof - and the porch will now protect the stairs.
The view from the front door
We also spent some time this weekend working inside, finishing the trim in the downstairs bathroom, cleaning up, etc, Next weekend, the railings go on the porch, and the plumbing work begins in earnest. We'll also install shear walls below the porch, and start adding the last of the siding (along the crawl space).
The look of the porch, circa 1962
The porch todayWith the roof done, the house is pretty much weatherproof, and we spent part of the rainy day on Saturday just listening to the rain on our new roof. Nothing like knowing the house is now safe from the weather!
We also had a visit from one of the firefighters, who told us about the fire in the apartment across the street. All three units are now empty, and the fire pretty much gutted the middle apartment. We don't know what plans the owners have for the building, but for now, it's boarded up.